I thought this was an interesting observation:
Thanks Islander, I thought I liked Garry's verse because it rang true to me. But now you have told me how to think, it''s all better.
Re: the Mavis Staples post. Amazing how people can reach into thier hearts and pull out a remembence of music for the moment. Thank you! Just been down at the Grassy listening to Carmel Courtney belt out some blues at a somewhat attenuated Lyttelton Summer Party. BBQ in full swing.
Started ripping down the damaged buildings today :-(
They are. They are doing hard work, in a town they probably don't know, for people they have never met. And for are large part, we are zombies..
BTW. Also big ups to the South Koreans, who kept their Antarctic resupply ship in port (with hospital, power, and choppers) until NZ could take over. Another happy coincidence. But that's Lyttelton.
Wrting frm Lyttelton. Big ups to:
* the Navy and Army. OK, maybe tanks in London St. were a bit over the top, but any crew that can push 1.5 m^2 of cornflakes and snags up Dublin St. are the go-to girls and guys. (NB: HMNZ Canterbury flight dispatchers ... can you hold off on chopper flight's while I'm having a dump in the garden. Thanks.)
* the folks at the Lyttelon Rec center - my gods, if you want to feed the masses go to the Maori and the military.
* Andrew and Glen of the Lyttelton dairy for getting the place open and functional.
* the staff of the Lyttelton Coffee co. - your building was munted, but you're out there anyway.
* Volcano Radio. Who would have thought it, eh.
Kia ora. Kia kaha.