It’s the results show, let’s find out which teams you all voted for.
- Cheetahs (52%) Rebels (48%)
- Chiefs (76%) Brumbies (24%) (Chiefs win again!)
- Blues (69%) Sharks (16%)
- Highlanders (69%) Force (16%)
- Kings (81%) Bulls (19%)
- Hurricanes (71%) Waratahs (29%)
- Crusaders (98%) Reds (2%)
- Tonga (48%) Ireland (52%)
- Australia (56%) Japan (44%)
- England (88%) US (12%)
- Italy (84%) Argentina (16%)
- Revote after tie: South Africa vs Wales
- Fiji (83%) Samoa (17%)
- NZ (96%) Scotland (4%)
The result of the South Africa v Wales revote was a 53% victory to… (XFactor style-zooms and tension building music)… the Boks!
So with Ireland beating Tonga in an “upset” and South Africa beating Wales, it’s clear you all prefer dark green to red and white. There was nothing too surprising in the Super Rugby results although I thought the Bulls would do better than they did. Note there are no more Australian teams left (other than the Wallabies, who scraped past Japan).
Round Two is up now and the two top teams, France and the Stormers (who got a first round bye because uneven numbers don’t fit into a bracket nicely), are in the mix!
Before we get to the voting form I just want to mention some of the random things I discovered while looking this stuff up:
- Are you pretty good at the rugby and have some sort of American lineage? Well, the US rugby team has a sign-up sheet.
- Kooga make some ugly unis but not as bad as Puma.
- Adidas seems to be the only company that doesn’t do piping, while Canterbury LOVE piping. Except on the English jersey which maybe the best jersey they have ever made (yes I include the All Blacks’ jerseys in this).
- It’s really hard to get images of South African Super Rugby jerseys.
- Here’s a close up of the Irish hexagonal “boob” panels. It also makes me ask “WTF is that collar thing?!”
- And then there’s the new Irish alternate kit… um, wow that’s ugly (yes that’s the women’s version, the men’s is the same, but there’s no pics of it). It looks, with the cat logo, like the front grill of a Jaguar.
- My mate Caleb’s review of the Chiefs and how to deal with race in logo design from February.